"We have never been called to define God, we have been called to behold Him." - Abraham Joshua Heschel

Moment in Time Photography - Blog

January 11, 2011

Faithful, Godly Women

She's 82, but she stands tall, eyes sparkling as she address the ladies in front of her. All of whom are significantly younger than she.

She speaks on the role of a mother, of a woman. Of being called to do what we, as woman do, for the Lord.

I've sat a few rows in front of her at church for years and never really talked to her. It's hard juggling little ones in the pressing throng of worshipers to actually have a conversation. It's hard to reach out when I would rather duck my head and head for the exit. But those aren't excuses (at least not good ones) to keep from getting to know these ladies.

I was thankful this morning for being able to listen to Dallas, to hear a bit of her life story, to hear her give testimony to God's faithfulness and to see what being a godly woman looks like. You can tell, just by looking at her, that she loves her Lord. Her eyes say it all, even before she opens her mouth to speak.

These women, women who have been faithful to Him who has called them, have so much to teach us about life, about faith, about walking with Jesus through life.

All too often, I find I tend to surround myself with people who are in the same stage of life as I am (you know, the busy, tired, at the end of my rope, little kid, covered in snot stage) But I am missing out on so much. We, as Christians, aren't meant to cluster together in comfort groups, but to stretch, to let those women who have walked in faith, teach us about what that means. To encourage and admonish us when we can't see past the stage of life we are in.

As a young woman, a young mom, I long for that mentorship, that example. I know these ladies aren't perfect, that they have their share of struggles and snares, but they have weathered far more *storms* then I have, they have seen more and, as a result, are wise in their years. A wisdom that comes from walking with God, that comes from trusting Him through everyday life. Not just the *big* things, but all the little mundane tasks that fill our lives as women.

1 comment:

AK said...

LOL I guess I fit into the kid-covered-in-snot stage :) That made me laugh...thank you!

I find it kind of funny sometimes when an older woman (and its happened a few times) shows surprise that I would actually WANT to visit with her. I feel like saying actually, I am sort of desperately wanting to visit with someone like that...


I hope that when I am "older" that I will remember this and reach out to the younger ones before they feel desperate!