"We have never been called to define God, we have been called to behold Him." - Abraham Joshua Heschel

Moment in Time Photography - Blog

May 27, 2009

Blossoming

"We don't want to mold children into people they aren't.
Our goal is to love them enough to see what is hidden in them and then work to help that blossom."
I love that quote. Found it on a blog I read, it comes from Compassion International and, in context, it refers to the kids they work with and support.
But it is so important to remember that about our own kids as well.
They each have their own personalities and strengths and weakness, God created them to be them and I know as I am parenting, that I need to be reminded of that, sometimes almost constantly.
Sometimes it is easy to let the little things get in the way of the whole.
I want to help my kids 'blossom' into the people that God has created them to be, not the people I think they should be.
* * * * * * * * *
This week hasn't been an easy one. I am beyond exhausted so every little thing is at least 10 times bigger of a deal than it should be.
My kids are pushing my buttons...whinning, yelling, fighting, peeing in closets (yes, it was intentional and NOT an accident), 6:15pm betimes, picking flowers simply to annoy the other.
Sigh...I've hit the point where I'm not sure I even care. Why not just let them run crazy?
I know why.... I'm just weary of the consistancy required, the battles and the apparent lack of change. . .(funny how it reflects my walk with God so well). I also know that we are called to NOT grow weary in doing good. So I continue or at least try to continue. Somedays not as successfully as others!

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

weary. tired. on-edge ...

praying that God gives you unbelievable strength, peace and rest as you continue to strive to be the parent He has created you to be.

I had a trying evening myself & I know that God is just telling me to keep on keepin' on even when I have nothing left in me.

He will give you STRENGTH!

** great post by the way. So, so, so much truth. Thanks :)

I love you more than sunshine! said...

K the peeing in the closet thing-Ha-mine do it as well. Yup, unfortunately,-"it's a boy phase." Why---I don't know. Just think of all the amazing cute little stories you'll tell your grandchildren. Hang in there. Just the other day I found a hidden bucket of pee in the office(oooey gross). Yup, I felt like pulling out my hair (laughs).

AK said...

Yikes about the pee thing. My friend's child does that only with poop...yikes!

Its not easy being a mom. I have entered the "I can't" "I don't want to" "NO!!!" (complete with hand out in an angry "stop" stance) stage. Last week it must have been 500 times in one day. Nothing seems to be working to help...hopefully its just another stage.

All this said to say I hear you...hang in there!