"We have never been called to define God, we have been called to behold Him." - Abraham Joshua Heschel

Moment in Time Photography - Blog

February 23, 2010

Note to Self

Remove ALL permanent markers from within arms (or climbing arms) reach.
***
yup, today I learned what will and will not remove permanent markers from a (new, red) couch, (cream) carpet, (whiteish) linolieum, dishwasher, wood, glass, plastic and paint.
I also learned that stopping to breath (and flinging a handfull of babywipes) lets off just enough steam so I don't throttle the child!
I seethed, I yelled, I cried (I might have stomped around a bit too). You know, the *perfect* picture of a patient, loving mother (snort).
And I reminded myself, as I sat there scrubbing the pillows on the couch crying, that it is only stuff.
Yes I want my house to look nice, but really, that's not what defines who I am. It's not what I strive for. In the big picture, it doesn't matter if there are maker marks on things, it really really really doesn't.
And those permanent (black) marks left on the carpet and walls (the only places where I couldn't get it out, or didn't bother trying) are going to reminded me of that everytime I see them (and trust me, ya can't miss the ones in the carpet *grin*)
I can smile (and even giggle a little) about it now. Especailly cuz when you walk into my living room from the kitchen you see black lines. Lots and lots and lots of black lines. :)

4 comments:

mommytoalot said...

OH no..permanent too..
glad you can smile...
we had nail polish in the sink and markers on the floors and tables..but not permanent.

Chrissiebear said...

I think Goo Gone might even work on the carpet... if you were closer, I'd lend you my bottle.. as it gets lent out a lot!!

Good luck Katie, and I'm glad that you can smile about it now... I would have been frustrated as well, you're definately not alone there!

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

Oh my... I would have been sobbing and flinging too. :)Nice recovery - I can tell that you are fighting for good to prevail and I see your awesome efforts to stay positive. Bless you dear lady!!!

AK said...

Oh no! Glad you can at least write it out. I would be SUPER frustrated too. My friend had this happen in her brand new mini van. Unfourtunately, as far as I know, she never got it out. I'll ask her and let you know if I find out anything.